As part of our advocacy work in Ottawa, Polytechnics Canada issues written submissions and policy papers to inform and guide decision-makers in areas where polytechnic institutions offer pragmatic solutions to the country’s skills and innovation challenges.
Key recommendations include:
- Modernize Canada’s academic research and development system with more flexible funding mechanisms that fully utilize capacity across the post-secondary research ecosystem
- Create a dedicated Tri-Agency funding allocation for Indigenous-led applied research
- Relaunch a $3.5 billion post-secondary infrastructure program that enables institutions to invest in green infrastructure and ensure campuses meet sustainability standards
- Establish a $25 million per year training equipment fund for Canada’s hands-on learning institutions to support skills development for a rapidly evolving labour market
- Restructure the Canada Training Benefit to increase awareness, navigation and upfront financial supports for workers
- Establish permanent baseline funding for the Student Work Placement Program, with additional investments designed to address the lingering impact of the pandemic on Canada’s youth