Applied Research at BCIT
BCIT has been working with industry clients for more than 25 years, helping companies and organizations develop new technologies, products and services. Research projects conducted at BCIT typically involve:
- Design and development of prototype devices, systems and applications
- Analysis, testing and evaluation of new technologies
- Commercialization and licensing of new technologies and products
BCIT has 54,000 sq. ft. of space available for applied research, drawing on full-time research staff and faculty from more than 200 technical programs to assemble teams with multi-disciplinary skills and expertise. Clients range from the independent entrepreneur with a unique prototype idea to established companies and organizations developing new products and services.
BCIT is home to a number of specialized research centres, including:
Connect with BCIT’s Applied Research Liaison Office
The Centre for Applied Research and Innovation (CARI)
CARI has been a hub of multi-disciplinary research and development projects for business and industry for almost 30 years, home to BCIT’s three dedicated research groups and their labs:
- MAKE+ focuses on product and process development and evaluation
- Natural Health and Food Products Research Group addresses issues of product quality, process improvement and human health
- Smart Microgrid Applied Research Team advances the electric Smart Grid by working to identify cost-effective technologies and solutions for this evolving technology
CARI is also home to the Applied Research Liaison Office, which provides a wide range of research and technology development services and guidance to BCIT faculty, researchers, students and industry partners.